Friday 3 February 2012

Pilchard Curry recipe - try it, you might like it!


A girl at work is an absolute superstar at making curries. She gave me a recipe for Malaysian pilchard curry, after I revealed Mr G's tendency for hoarding things, including tins of pilchards (he had about 20 cans in his kitchen cupboard when I first knew him!), so I made it this week and it was an absolute WINNER. I tweaked her recipe (i.e. avoided the tin of fattening coconut milk) to make it Slimming World-friendly, so this is my version below. I know it sounds a bit weird, but it's LUSH...

Ingredients
1 425g tin of pilchards in tomato sauce
1 400g tin tomatoes
1 inch of ginger, peeled
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 fresh red chillies (deseeded)
1 large onion
2 tbsp Malaysian fish curry powder (more about this below)
2 potatoes chopped into bite-sized chunks
A few squirts of FryLight
Salt

Method
  1. Put the chillies, ginger, garlic, and chopped onion into a blender with a little water, and blitz.
  2. Coat a heated frying pan with a few sprays of Fry-Light, then tip in the above mixture and stir-fry for about 10 minutes.
  3. Add in the curry powder, salt and tin of tomatoes and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes.
  4. Add the chopped potatoes and a tin of water, and leave to simmer for 15 minutes or so.
  5. When the potatoes are cooked, halve the pilchards lengthways and add them in (the recipe also says to debone them, but I might leave them in next time as I don't mind eating them, and it's extra calcium innit...), and bring to the boil for a few minutes to heat them through.
  6. Serve with boiled rice.
The recipe was allegedly for 4 people, but we were so hungry and it was so nice, we ate the lot :|

My friend gave me the curry powder from her personal supply brought back from Malaysia, as it's hard to find in the UK. However, after a bit of research, I found someone on eBay who sells it in varying packet sizes. It's called Baba's Fish Curry Powder and is apparently a blend of coriander, chilli, cumin, turmeric, fennel, dhal, fenugreek, pepper and "other spices". I've ordered a pack of 4 250g sachets for £12.50 which should keep me going for a long while. I'm quite sure the more adventurous among you could make up your own spice blend.

If you do make this, please let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Pilchard curry sounds amazing! Good old pilchards! In answer to your beetroot question, yes blend with a blender, careful of the splashes! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh brilliant, thank you so much. Will def be making it ASAP (while ensuring I'm not wearing white!) :D

      Delete
  2. Excellent taste and straightforward to make. My Mauritian Fish Curry lack the amount of ginger as we haven't got huge appetites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baba curry powder is better than Shan's. Shan's products are quite strong and pungent. Or you can try Adabi, a Malaysian leading brand of traditional spices.

    ReplyDelete